The city of Saratoga Springs is known best for its horse races but the city has so much more to offer – from beautiful Victorian architecture to some pretty tasty local restaurants and a number of hiking trails within close driving distance, there are endless amounts of things to do in Saratoga Springs, New York. Read on to see how to get there, where to stay and what to do.
How to Get to Saratoga Springs
The best way to get to Saratoga Springs is by car, which takes roughly 3 hours and 30 minutes. You do have the option of taking public transportation by train but this will easily double your travel time so I recommend renting a car if at all possible.
What to Do in Saratoga Springs
- See the Famous Saratoga Race Track
- Visit Saratoga Spa State Park
- Hike the Geyser Creek Trail
- Walk down S Broadway Street to take in main street and peep in all of the shops and some of the city’s best restaurants and bars
- Have a picnic on Saratoga Lake
- Walk through the city’s residential areas to take in the beautiful Victorian architecture
Where to Eat & Drink in Saratoga Springs
We only spent two nights here and for one of those days, a lot of the restaurants in the city were closed and the ones that were open were completely packed to the brim so while we didn’t get the full restaurant experience that we had hoped, we were still able to find a few gems while we were there.
- The Night Owl – A local cocktail bar, this was a great spot to sit outdoors and enjoy a pre-dinner drink. The great part was it was the ideal place to social distance.
- Osteria Danny – A local American Italian restaurant located right in the heart of the city, Osteria Danny was everything that you look for in an Italian restaurant; good food, friendly staff and delicious wine. I highly recommend you order the grilled octopus, it was delicious! If I find myself in Saratoga Springs again, this spot will definitely be on my list.
Others to consider:
Where to Stay in Saratoga Springs: The Inn at Five Points
A stunning Victorian property based in the city of Saratoga Springs, New York, The Inn at Five Points is oozing with old-school charm and is conveniently located only minutes from the famous Saratoga Race Course and a short walk from the center of town.
Likely built between 1886-1887, the property at The Inn at Five Points offers a unique experience, with each of the inns seven rooms highlight the buildings Victorian glamour and history. You can relax in your spacious room, the cozy communal areas, on the porch swing or by the outdoor fire.
What I loved most about this spot was its charm. It’s so easy for hotels these days to hone in the trends of the times, but The Inn at Five Points has stayed true to its roots, and that’s what makes it so one-of-a-kind.
Rather than being smack dap in the center of town, The Inn at Five Points is situated in a quiet residential area of Saratoga Springs, away from the hustle and bustle. which is ideal for relaxation. But fear not, the city’s best restaurants and sites are only a short walk away.
Have any questions on Saratoga Springs? Ask away in the comments below!6